Saturday, December 1, 2012

Where was I...

So, where was I when I was so rudely interrupted. Hmm, let's see. It was at the end of September and I was feeling pretty low - my housemate had screwed me over (and has continued to do so). My mom, well, enough said about that. My arm was not functioning well. Money looked really, really bad and life in general seemed fairly dismal. And, honestly, I was tired of whinging electronically. See, I don't complain out loud all that much. Unless you call blogging about it "out loud." My mom says that her uncle used to say, "I suffer, but I do not complain." I wonder if that is a quote from somewhere. Let's see, shall we? Can't find any top tier results that leap out at me. Anyway, I like to view the world as an overflowing glass. (Who the heck is going to clean up that mess? One, two, three, "Not it!") And try to live my life that way.

So, what has happened since the end of September. Well, two months have passed. I have taken two trips to North Carolina. Mom spent a week in Maine without me. I have seen a few movies, seen a few plays, worked at the Smith, applied for a theatre position at Hobart and generally puttered around. What? Applied for a position at Hobart? Yes, yes I did.

An academic position would be perfect for my situation. The hours are not onerous out of the house, which would let me be here for mom. The pay is decent, which would be a great help. But on top of that, I would be following in the footsteps of both my dad and my mom. And I would be great. Just thinking about the possibilities makes me almost giddy. Sadly, I do not think I have a bat's chance in a baseball cage. Or something like that. Academics tend to want to hire their own kind, not someone who has been out and about in the real world for 20+ years. Still, I am hoping that my cobbled together vita, my somewhat passionate interest letter and three wonderful letters of recommendation ought to get me an interview at least. And if it is an interview with a committee, I ought to be able to demonstrate my commitment and passion sufficiently to put me on the short list. I haven't wanted a job this badly since, well, never.

Anyway, that is it for this post. I am sure there is more I could write. And less. And pictures. And such.

No comments: