Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Trials and Tribulations of Audio CDs

As those who have read my blog for a while know, and now you know too, I like to listen to books on CD. This is a pre-emptive strategy on my part for when I am so old and feeble that I can't read anymore in any format - book, magazine, tablet etc. Not that I foresee this happening soon. I just like to be prepared. The main place that I listen to books used to be my car. I listened to them when commuting while living in NC. And for longer drives - especially the drive from NC to NY and back. 11 hours or so gets a lot of listening done. I had many issues with the various cd players or lack thereof in my cars. My first car had no CD player, so I had a device that allowed me to attach a "tape" to my CD player that I plugged into my car's tape player. That worked well, but was a pain in the butt when I had to change a CD. The next two cars I don't remember what their CD stories were. I only had each of them for a bout a year. Long, sad stories there. Moving on, I got my current car a few years (five or six) ago and haven't had too many issues with the CD player. Except when it is really cold. Then the CD player won't work for a while. Or when it is too hot. Sigh.

Now, I don't drive far often without mom in the car. And trying to listen to a CD book when mom is the car is a no-go. She has a tendency to start talking at any time. I for one, find it hard to listen to two different things at the same time. Usually one doesn't get enough attention and things are missed. When I do drive without mom in the car, I am usually toodling around Geneva, which means drives of about 5 minutes at a time. Kinda silly to listen to a book for five minutes at a time...

So, the place I listen now, mostly, is the kitchen. I find myself in the kitchen quite a lot. Not barefoot, thank you very much. Washing dishes, preparing meals, putting away groceries and sometime eating a meal there gives me quite a bit of time to listen. The first CD player in there died an unfortunate death. Maybe from over playing. There were others in the house which I tried. One didn't play audio CDs at all. Weird. Another didn't like playing audio CDs. Skipped and hemmed and hawed all the time. And if I paused a CD for more than five minutes, it turned off. Finding my place again wasn't easy, especially when a CD was not broken up to small tracks - because the CD player didn't have a scan feature, just a jump to track feature. Finally, I found a CD player that seems to work. Yay!

Why am I writing about this you may ask. Well, first because I thought it was mildly interesting. And second, because I realized that I left the latest book paused in the kitchen, while mom and I are on a trip to NYC. Eeeek! I hope it doesn't explode. Or worse, stops playing audio CDs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

.A friend of mine used to listen to books on cd while driving to and fro from work. His favourite - Stephen King. And he had this old Jeep that would ding when getting low on gas. Seems like we'd always be on some dark lonely back road with Stephen King in the cd player, and that damn thing would ding. Roy would then do his hideous scary laugh. I miss those eerie trips...

Augustus said...

Sounds great (in a creepie way)! :)