Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Mom and buying

I do think that we learn some of our tendencies from our parents. Since I mostly only had mom growing up, many of my tendencies come from her. I have always been curious about the whole nature/nurture thing. Anyway, my mom tends to buy things in a spontaneous sort of way. She can be extremely parsimonious and then turn around and buy an expensive item "just because." I have had the same tendency, though have mostly curbed it. Yay.

Anyway, the other day, we got a catalog in the mail from Puritan Pride, a supplement company. Mom wanted to buy some supplements. I said, ok, when you finish the ones you already have, we can talk about getting more. She said - what? I don't have any supplements. So I showed her the six bottle of fish oil etc that I had found. Oops. I am of two minds about supplements. I think they aren't a bad idea. I also think that as long as you eat decently, you can get most of your requirements that way. And taking pills to supplement one's diet just seems weird to me. I haven't started giving mom all of the supplements that she has lying around. Any thoughts?

No comments: