Thursday, December 20, 2012

HWS Christmas Party

We went to the annual holiday function that the colleges holds where they invite a lot of people from the community who have loose ties to the colleges. I got mom dressed in a nice blouse and her silk Chinese jacket. She looked pretty spiffy. The walk to the Scandling Center almost ended in bloodshed. It is about 500 yards from our front door to the front door of the Scandling Center. It took us fifteen minutes. Grrrr. And mom ran out of Kleenex before we got there - good thing that I had stuffed my pockets full just in case!

We did arrive and luckily the building had an elevator - as the event was happening on the second floor. When we arrived, it was already fairly crowded. I parked mom at a table for two and got us each a drink - soda water for mom, a beer for me. An hors d'ouvres server wandered past and fed us some fancy version of pigs in a blanket. Others followed. Unbeknownst to me, there was a huge ballroom filled with tables, food and fun, which I eventually discovered. I loaded a plate full of food and split it, upon my return, with mom. We didn't see a lot of people we knew. Or rather, we saw them, but didn't speak with them. Justin, our erstwhile handy-person, came and said hello. We did not, unfortunately, meet his wife. Lowell Bloss came up and spoke with mom while I was away, apparently. And I did see Jimmy and Julie from the opera who were performing songs and arias. I didn't, however, parade mom through the main ballroom, to her chagrin later. In fact she has mentioned it a few times since then. Even days afterwards!

The walk home seemed to take less time and less aggravation. Yay!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

.It's so wonderful that you got to spend a nice evening with your Mom. A Joyous Season to both of you.

Augustus said...

Thank you PS! :)