Friday, January 31, 2014

I am Number Four and Downtown Express Movie Reviewishes

When I first started watching I am Number Four, I couldn't remember how it got onto my Netflix list. It took a long while before I realized what, or who, it was that had led me there: whatshername from Glee. Dianna Agron who played Quinn Fabray. And because it was science fiction. And it looked ok when I read about it, despite not having stellar starage ratings.

Overall I enjoyed it. I didn't realize until the end that it was taken from a book by the same name - there are a series of them - YA books it turns out. Why do I like YA books so much? Why do I like writing YA (Young Adult)? I might just have to get them from the library, though I don't know that the series is complete - if it is a series and not just books from the same thought world. Anyway, since the title was I am Number Four, I kinda thought there might have to be books about other numbers. Sesame Street would have been proud.

The lead guy was not too atrocious. I liked both the women/girls a lot. In fact I am planning on adding more movies by the woman who played Number Six at some point - if I can find one that is rated with more than moderate starage. I have found that movies that are rated less than 5 often don't appeal. Not even in a cheesy sort of way.

No plot description here, though I guess it sort of made sense somehow. Some fun action scenes. Scary neo-nazi alien bad guys. All in all a thumbs up in my pea brain!

Bonus movie review: We had Downtown Express at the Smith because the main character was played Philippe Quint - the same person who is the featured solo-ist with the Rochester Philharmonic playing at the Smith on January 31st. My mom also saw it. It was ok. Not great. I didn't really get the feeling that there was a lot of chemistry between any of the actors. The music was good, though repetitive. It seemed like they only learned two songs for the whole movie. Ok, I exaggerate a bit - maybe four songs. It never seemed to decide whether it was a couple of love stories or a story about a young musician finding himself. Still, glad I saw it!

No comments: