Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Another Movie Review-ish - The Lone Ranger

I liked The Lone Ranger better than the reviewers did. It did try too hard, but I didn't mind. I liked Johnny Depp as Tonto. I wasn't put off my his portrayal of a Native American. I thought whoever played John, the Lone Ranger was fine despite being written as a bit of a goof. Some good cameos and lesser parts. Some cool choreography. An ok story. I thought some of the jokes were cute. And although it wasn't steam punk, it is still an era that I enjoy watching movies about. (Wow, what an awkward sentence...) All in all, I would give it a mild recommendation. Glad I saw it. I think mom was confused. Quelle suprise. 

I have decided that being a projectionist at the Smith is not the best way to see movies. In fact it is a crappy way. When projecting a movie there, I don't feel that I ought to be sitting watching the whole movie. I need to be roaming about the space, checking on things, doing this and that. And there isn't really any one place in the theatre that lets me keep an eye on things and watch the movie at the same time. And it is during the movies that I get my best work done on the slide show.

Talk about a lot of work. Keeping up with the slideshow is time consuming. I do think it is a valuable tool, though. One of the first things I suggested after taking on the role of "film guy" at the Smith was to suggest that we run a slide show while patrons were waiting for the movie. We had been running some sound, which is good, but I also implemented the usage of Spotify to create playlists of music that was in some way related to the film. Often speciously, but, better than silence and better than generic music. Anyway, one of the office guys took a whack at creating the slide show and did a decent job of picking a template and putting some information in. Since then, I have been taking care of it. Adding to it, trying to make it a little more interesting and informative. Hopefully mildly entertaining But it changes at least weekly. And this week, and for the month of February, it will be changing, well, it ought to be changing, almost daily. Though I might let a day slide here or there depending on my busy-ness (mental or actual - is mental actual too?). Speaking of which, when I get back to the Smith, I will have to work on the slide show. Yay!

No comments: