Friday, June 29, 2012

Day Twenty-Two - Tucson (AZ)

Turns out that I have been to Tucson before: back in the early 90's the WPBA (who I was dilgently following (along with my then girlfriend))(Oh, Women's Professional Billiards Association) had a tour stop in Tucson. We came and hung out for the whole tournament - four or five days I think. Went to the desert museum, rented a convertible, generally had a lovely time. Yay!

My friends/teachers have been coming here for decades and finally moved here last year. Turns out that Tucson is politically akin to Austin and Boston and other progressive cities. Yippee! The heat really is dry! I mean, if you stand around in your sopping wet bathing suit for about 5 minutes, all dry! Wow!

It was a pleasant day here - I did some laundry - finally - it has been a while, since, hmm, The Dalles, I guess, in Oregon. That already seems years in the past. Time is weird, especially so when I am traveling. Anyway, we also took a drive through the Saguaro National Park - my goodness gracious was that cool or what?! Saguaro come in so many shapes and sizes. All of the other succulents and vegetation were great too! Mom liked prickly pear plants better than Saguaro I think. After the drive, we went into the temporary visitor center shed where mom bought a whole bunch of postcards. But because they weren't in their normal space, they didn't have all of their normal stock, so we couldn't buy mom a Grand Canyon booklet (for which she is jonesing a little bit).

After the tour, we went to Nimbus Bistro for lunch. Mostly a brewpub, but not really, we had a great lunch, nice ambiance and decent beers. Yay! (More on Nimbus - eventually - on the brewpub blog - there are other pubs there already...)

Then it was nap time! Yay naps! I like naps.

Eventually, Andy I went to the pool. For those who don't know, I have some water issues. I really don't enjoy having my head underwater. And I do feel a bit constricted when swimming around. But it felt so nice to be in the pool that I think I stayed there for an hour or so. Prune city!

It took us a while to get our acts together to eat, but Andy and Ethel put on a terrific repast. One of the things that cause dinner to be later, was a phone call with a third teacher from my past - Harriette! It was awesome talking to her. Hopefully we will keep in sporadic touch.

All in all, a relaxing, restful, pleasant day here in Tucson. I like those, occasionally.

Laundry!

Ethel. mom and prickly pear cactus

Nimbus Bistro Entry Way

Yummy dinner chez Ethel and Andy

2 comments:

Summerhill said...

What does your mother's shirt say? For some reason the photo won't load.

Your mother is lucky to have you as such a good companion.

Augustus said...

Mom's shirt is from a trip she and I took to Morroco a few years back. Thank you Summerhill!