Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day Twenty-One Flagstaff (AZ) to Tucson (AZ)

Those of you who have been following my blog for a long time, or have known me for a long time, are used to me venting a smidge here and there. Today is a vent day! Yay! Lucky you!! The normal travelogue/daily blog will continue momentarily.

Vent open - have I mentioned in the past 12 hours that I think money sucks?! Well, I do. Anyway, I went to pay my mortgage online (please don't get me started about the evils of mortgages). I logged onto the website and found that my mortgage had been transferred. Sigh. I had asked Cate (my housemate) to send me my mail, which she did - I had done a quick glance through to see if there was anything exciting. Nope, nothing. Same old crap I always got. I think. I thought. I don't know. I didn't really pay much attention to it. Snail Mail is not very exciting generally.

Well, apparently I missed something. Bank of America sold my loan - I think this is at least the third new organization I have had to deal with. Sigh. So I spent 45 minutes trying to make a mortgage payment, which I finally managed to do. Hurrah. If I were a bazillionaire (or if there were no money), I wouldn't have to worry about this crap. In the first case, someone else would take care of it and in the latter, well, I wouldn't have to worry about this crap...

Vent closed!

Ah, what a beautiful day black-jack day was! And we are into hyphenated numbers now! Eeek!

Oops, I am interupting myself again.  Hey, it's my prerogative. Change of plans. Fairly major change in fact. I think we are going to start truly heading towards Geneva after Austin. The trip to New Orleans would be awesome, but it would just add too many days to the adventure. We need to pick our mail up eventually and that eventual date is fast approaching (when I do the calculations I will know more). So, it looks like we will be heading towards TN much earlier than I had planned. Dollywood is still possible, though unlikelier than it was a day or two ago. And I don't know about stopping in Kentucky to visit my mom's student there at this point either. We might just need to get home and then go out on the road again in a couple of months. We shall see. Plans they are a changing...yay going with the flow. Ok, back to the regular narrative...

I decided that we would go through Sedona again on the way to Tucson. Can't get enough of the red rocks. Mom was confused and a little scared that I chose to take the twisty road again. But that wasn't the main point. The main point was to do the 179 Scenic Route and see those sights in the daylight. And it was well worth it. Wow. We also stopped and got some postcards. Mom does love her postcards. Though much of the next three hours the lament was heard "They were so inexpensive - I ought to have bought a lot more."  Phew, dodged a postcard bullet!

We headed on towards Phoenix and found a rest stop in which to eat our leftovers from the night before. It was a fortunate, though hot, stop. As we were resting there, Karl called. It is always easier if he calls when we are static as opposed to when we are in motion.

Gotta interrupt myself again - the tv is on because mom and Ethel are watching CNN about the health care decision from the Supreme Court. I can't hear myself think...

Ok, where was I...Right, resting at a stop in the middle of Arizona. I tried to give mom away, but the two young ladies I offered her to didn't bite. They did point out that their grandparents were in the 100s so mom wasn't officially old. They also suggested that mom ought to remember me trying to give her away at Christmas time! I agreed, she needs to buy me large presents to bribe me to not give her away.

The rest of the drive to Tucson was pretty uneventful. Yay! The GPS was guiding us towards Ethel and Andy's house when the phone rang followed by a text, so I pulled over to check them out. It was Ethel calling to say she was heading out to the grocery store and checking on our progress. I told her we were near their place, hold on a second, let me look at the number of the complex we are stopped in front of, oh, wait, we are at your house!

Ethel welcomed us warmly and it was awesome to see her! We spent the rest of the day chatting and eventually ate a yummy home cooked meal! For me it has been a long time since I had a home cooked meal - back when Mary Gerhart cooked for us on the first night of our trip! Andy was out working and didn't get back until latish. How great to see him! For those of you who don't know, Ethel and Andy were my school teachers back in 5th and 6th grade. Soon, we were all sleeping happily!

Red Rocks!

Leftover lunch in AZ

Andy and Ethel's in Tucson

No comments: