Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day Nineteen - Las Vegas (NV) to Flagstaff (AZ)

Not a long drive. And a much, much, much more pleasant one now that the Hoover Dam bypass has been completed. And the road through the Arizona part has been made two lanes the whole way. Someday, hopefully, the Nevada side will be similarly fixed a bit. There is one place where there is a stop light and a hard right turn. Rarely has this been smooth sailing for me (or I doubt for anyone). Not a big deal, but not optimal either.

Karl called at one point and suggested we turn around (ha) and go back and visit the Hoover Dam. Admittedly, I did think about it. But I was so happy that I didn't have to do that drive (it is very windy and twisty and hilly) that I only thought about it briefly. Yes, this trip is about doing things that I haven't done (like spending time exploring the Hoover Dam) but not that.

I had planned a lunch stop and saw sign's for a tourist place called "Gus's Jerky." I almost zipped right past it! It was teeny and the sign wasn't even as large as the many billboards that I saw advertising the place. Inside, Angie politely offered everyone a taste of the jerky. It was good, but not worth the inflated prices. Goodness, everything was really expensive in there. My yardstick was a bag of pistachios - they were three times the price of pistachios at Walmart. I did end up buying two popsicles with "more fruit bits" in them. A lime one for mom and a strawberry one for me. If they had had a strawberry lime one, I would have gotten that one! They were pretty good and tided us over until we got to a real lunch place.

Seligman AZ is on Route 66. It is a teeny, drive through town. For such a small place, there are a lot of shops and things. Very touristy. We stopped at the Roadkill Cafe, where we learned the pronunciation of the city was Seligman (su-Lig-mun) or something like that. Mom and I shared an appetizer of clams and crab cakes that she saw on the menu. I didn't want to eat much, due to it making me potentially tired, so mom ate most of it. She liked the place more than I did, though I did like it. The menu was full of creative, roadkill related item names.

Next stop, Flagstaff. It was a really short driving day. Through the mountainous part of Arizona. Pretty! We parked in the parking lot of the Econolodge and I called to make a reservation. Yay! Nice room, softer pillows than at the Travellodge. Mom seems ok with this one. She still doesn't like non-traditional faucets...Oh well.

We rested for a couple of hours before heading out to dinner at the Flagstaff Brewing Company in downtown Flagstaff. There was no parking to be had close to the place. And the store front looked forbidding. Turns out the entrance was around the side. Most everyone was outside, so we sat ourselves inside. Our server, A, was really busy and was running all over but still managed to keep up with us. I had a taster (big surprise) and two other beers. The taster was decent, though mostly lighter beers. I followed that up with an Hopknot IPA and later a Maui Coconut Porter. For dinner mom and I shared a turkey sandwich and some onion rings. Yay! There will be more about this visit on my brewpub blog - eventually.

Off to the movies. I have been wanting to see Brave since I saw the first preview. I mean, look at all that red hair! It was a great, fun movie. I think mom enjoyed it, though she was a smidge overwhelmed at times. The trailers don't really do the movie justice - basically just showing the introduction (which I actually prefer to the "tell the whole movie in the preview" previews). Definitely worth a trip to the movie theatre to see!

At the motel, I put the tv on for mom, intending to watch an episode or two of Stargate Atlantis on the computer. Mom likes me to watch what she is watching. Sigh. I did end up watching the entire Shipmates Forever movie - Dick Powell, Ruby Keeler in a rah-rah Navy movie.

Gus's Jerky

Me and mom at Roadkill Cafe

Our lovely Econolodge

Beer taps at Flagstaff Brewing Company

Yay Brave!

No comments: