Monday, May 5, 2014

Oops, I fallded

Yesterday was a crazy day - not too crazy - just enough crazy to make it onto the crazy day meterometer. Up early, out latish. Long day at the Smith. Good day at the Smith. With a dose of drama here and there.

I don't know why I was up early, but I was - oh, right, because I was stressing out a smidgen - really, just a little - about the band wanting to project using our projector and their laptop. Then, when I was lying here - yes, I am writing this from a reclining position in my bed - no pictures available, sorry - (well, unless someone asks very, very politely...) - I remembered that I hadn't taken down the house sound system. I knew that the sound guy was coming in early to set up - it takes two people most of 5 hours to set up for a show this size. Seems like a long time to me, but what do I know? Anyway, my little teeny sound system would have slowed them down a bit - so I went in early to take it down. Good thing! The sound people got there just after I finished clearing the stage. Phew!

Back home, I did some writing, thought about napping - heck, I may have even closed my eyes for a few minutes. But before too long it was lunch time. I had left over pizza (yum) and mom had her usual.

I left for the Smith because, well, I really wanted to make sure I got everything I wanted to get done, done. And I like to have things done ahead of time in case there are any problems - or in case things take longer than anticipated. Which never happens, of course. Everything always goes really smoothly with no problems!

Actually, that is what happened. My staff got there on time and we got everything I wanted accomplished with a few minutes to spare. The band arrived a little early, so, yay! Their load-in went well. And, surprisingly, the laptop that the sound guy had drove the projector just fine! Yippee! The biggest sweaty part for me was trying to get the image just how we wanted it. We got it mostly ok - it was clipped on one side and, since I don't play with the projector and scaler and a laptop all the time, I didn't know where to begin to fix that. But it really was good enough. (Getting it back to movie readiness is a headache for another day - tomorrow even - since we have a movie on Wednesday night.

After that was done, we had to wait for the band to get its act together for a sound check. This did not happen in a timely fashion. Which is fairly typical. While they were puttering around, I decided it would be a good time to head home for feeding mom and me.

When I walked in the door and called out to say hello, mom meekly responded that she had finally fallen down. Look, a self fulfilled prophecy! Craziness. I don't understand why my mom chooses to act so feeble. She really isn't, unless I am a terrible judge of such things. Whatever, if she believes it, it is true for her. And her reality is where I have to meet her. At least partway. Most of the time. So, yes, she had fallen - but not in a terrible, oh my god lying in a puddle of blood sort of way. She fell in an, oops, I lost my balance and gracefully sat down sort of way. Which, thanks to the Universe, is the way that she normally falls. Yay! Next challenge, getting her up off the floor.

The last time she did this, I tried a variety of tactics for getting her up - only one of which was successful. I suggested one of the failed tactics, which, surprisingly, failed again! Mom can't, for some reason, manage to figure out how to get on her knees. I can't figure out why she can't figure it out. Hmm. Food for thought. The strategy that worked last time, after overcoming mom's resistance to the whole idea, was for her to scooch (that is the technical term, right?) her butt - or butt walk I guess would be another way of looking at it - from where she was - in her bedroom - to the top of the stairs - a scooch of about ten feet I would guess. It took her a few minutes and a lot of whining - I can't do it - what will happen when I get there - it's so far - etc. - but she got there eventually. Convincing her to get up was the next challenge. Fairly quickly overcome. On the way back to her bedroom, she continued to sway and wobble for no apparent reason. She hasn't complained of vertigo or anything like that, so I really don't know what the issue is. If there is an issue beyond mom just believing she is "unsteady on her pins." Sigh.

While all of this was going on, I got dinner together for us. She got downstairs, I put Doc Martin on, snarfed my food and headed back to the Smith - secure in the knowledge that mom would somehow be steady enough on her pins to get herself some ice cream. Two bowls in fact eventually...

At the Smith, sound check still hadn't happened. We were starting to run into dinner and VIP time. That kind of thing just irks me. Not a lot - nothing I can do about it - but certainly a little. Performers. Grrrr.

The show itself went smoothly, as did load-out. I didn't get out of there until 11:30. Oh, the show was Dave Mason, who started with Traffic way back when. I have the first two Traffic albums and liked their music. Dave Mason also had some hits that were in my mind through osmosis. Good stuff. As I said somewhere else - it was a good, solid show - getting to see classic music performed by the artist himself was a treat. Not a great show - not a lot of fireworks are razzamataz - just good music performed by good musicians. So overall, the show was good - not great. And the day was crazy - but not too crazy.

No comments: