Saturday, May 31, 2014

A Good Smith Day

So, here it is Saturday, three days since we got back, seems like a lot longer, and I haven't been able to finish a blog post. I hope to do so today, since I really don't have much else going on. 

Yes, I have a day off from the Smith. Yippee! Not that I have been working there an inordinate amount. But I have been working there. Speaking of which, I had a great Smith day yesterday.

What I mean about a good Smith day is that I got a lot of things done and learned a few things as well. I actually was there twice. In the morning, I hung a banner in the front foyer. That entailed a bit of ladder climbing, which entailed a bit of ladder carrying. I also learned about something called "Oops" or as Kelly calls it, "Goo be Gone." It took tape residue off glass really easily! Yay! Now, we just need somebody to go around the Smith and de-tape more glass bits!

I also called the electricians and told them that they had a green light to do some electrical upgrades and clean-ups that we have been interested in doing. Like getting people out of circuit breaker boxes and putting in light switches for safety. And putting in some permanent work lights for working on the stage. Yippee!

My mind is not working as well as I would like. I can't remember if I called the lighting company - ETC - to ask about the blinking dimmers yesterday or earlier. Anyway, they suggested vacuuming them out, which I did yesterday. In the afternoon, actually. Back to the morning. I spent a good amount of time playing with the slide show. I added a couple of slides, which can take a few minutes, or can take a lot longer if I need to build the slide from scratch. And I think that was my morning.

In the afternoon, as I mentioned, I vacuumed the dimmers free from dust. This was a bit of an ordeal. I had to figure out how to turn the power off to the dimmers. I couldn't tell from the labels in the circuit box which ones controlled the dimmer pack. So I turned off the breaker in the electric room. Oops. Not a major oops, but a good solid minor oops. Turning that off turned off the whole stage left side of the theatre, including all of the outlets in the center of the auditorium. Which meant that one of our two internet wifi routers got turned off. The one that Kelly and I use for our email. Oops. And, on coming back into the theatre, I noticed that something looked different. It took me a minute to realize that I was looking at the fire curtain! Oops. 

No time to worry about that - I needed to vacuum the dimmers and do a few other things before our "press event" that evening. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. That was rewarding. Then power on, viola, internet service restored, and fire curtain, hmm, not going up. Why is that? Oh, right, the power is off failsafe thingie. Up another, very tall ladder, and after a good bunch of tugging, got the thingie in the thingie and the other thingie magnetically attached to the last thingie. Problem solved and bye bye fire curtain!

Next up, adding sound to the previews. Which I did. Only to find that it was going to take more than an hour to get it up on the film server. And I just plain ran out of time. Oh well. 

The event went smoothly, with a bunch of running up and down the stairs to the projection booth. Yay for exercise in the line of duty. 

So, all in all a good Smith Day. I learned, I played, I cleaned, and life is good.

No comments: