Friday, May 9, 2014

I heart my composter

I have, as some of you know, been jonesing (keeping up with the Joneses?) for a composter. I almost bought one last year. But didn't. Too expensive at the time - our finances weren't as robust as they seem to be just now. I thought about maybe having two even - I am still debating the little inside home one. I wanted it for two reasons. One - to get the fruit flies out of the house - if there was nothing they liked to nibble on, they might just up and leave. And I can use the garbage can in the house a lot less. Yay! Years ago, we had a compost thing in the yard - near the "barn" or garage. I think my brother made it out of a few door pieces. And it seemed to work. He then went off to college - mom worked very hard and didn't spend much time in the garden and heaven forfend that I find myself actually "grubbing around in the dirt." Nope, not a gardner, am I. Doubt I ever will be. Yes, I like to see things growing - I just don't like to do the work myself. It did make a good amount of dirt. And I think I actually at least shoveled it out into our "garden" area. But that was along ago and it is no longer there. Though the earth is higher there. Hmmm. Where was I went I tangentialized? Oh, yes - loving my composter.

When I have a little pile of compost, I zip outside, twist the lid on the composter and toss the pile inside. My composter can rotate. Why does my composter rotate? I haven't rotated it yet. I just read about making compost. Who knew there was a method to it? Browns and greens, and the right level of moisture? Eeek! I just wanna put stuff in and wait a while and have dirt or something like dirt come out! Is that too much to ask? And rotating seems to help. Who knew?!

On a different subject - A long while ago - I think I remember blogging about it, so it can't be longer than a few years ago - I bought a pair of drain snake things 'cause a couple of drains in my bathroom were being slow to drain. They came in the mail and I was underwhelmed. They were two pieces of wire with some velcro (the hook part) glued on the ends. Silly in the extreme. I tried one down my shower drain and it did manage to help with that. Flash forward a year later (yesterday). My sink drain in my bathroom has been draining verrrrrrry slooooooowly lately. I know I had tried at least once before to take the stopper out without success. Some sinks it is easy to do, this one, not so easy. I was about to shave when I noticed the snakes sitting in the cabinet. I thought - what the heck, what have I got to lose. A few minutes later, gobs of gunk (mostly Augustus hair - facial and top of head(ical?)) were sitting on the edge of the sink. Lo and behold - ala kazaam - the sink drains happily again. I guess that was $10 well spent. (I think it was $10 - might have been $14 - who knows - I know they must make 10,000% profit on each one they manage to sell...)

On the mom front - she seems to be moving more into a changing pattern of waking and sleeping. She is much more wide awake at 1 in the morning than she seems to be at one in the afternoon. Joy.

No comments: