Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bridge




I first started playing bridge when I was about ten. My mom mostly taught me, and I learned a lot through osmosis, and reading. The story is told of my father earning his way across the ocean by playing bridge. I wonder how that worked...we have very low stakes bridge. But I am getting ahead of myself.


Ever since learning to play, I have always kept my eyes open for a game. I was never really interested in become a Bridge Master, playing duplicate, getting masters points and all that. I really just like playing "gutter" bridge. A lot of gut bidding in other words. I have played in a wide variety of situations all over the world. The funniest was playing bridge in a bus in China with some of my students.

When I moved to Raleigh, I looked for ways to get out of the house. I found a bridge group that met in a rec center in Fuquay Varina. A long drive to be sure, but it was a consistent thing. I think there was only one time that I recall that we didn't have enough for at least one table (four people).


Anyway, that was 10 years ago or thereabouts. Since then, we have stopped playing at the rec center and are taking turns playing at people's houses. Last time was at Jo-Anne and Ted's house - and we had three tables! Eeek! It was still fun, though.

No comments: