Monday, December 29, 2014

Post Christmas Un-Wrap-up

Overall, it was a lovely Christmas. All things considered. The totality of reality included. But we will look at a smaller scale and see what we find - shall we?

I am working on an animated gif of the Christmas tree - maybe one day I will get it posted. Weirdly, where I used to post things quickly - or at least work through them and get something passable up and out, I start a post and then just rarely go back and finish it. Sigh. I must have fifteen to twenty posts in various states of completion on my various blogs. Which, honestly, I will probably never complete. Anyway, I digress - which is one reason that my posts don't get finished - digression.

So, the tree got up, the presents wrapped and put under the tree. The past three years (or is it four) I have tried to make things sort of like what used to be a traditional Christmas in the Schoen-René household: opening presents on Christmas eve - Christmas music on the stereo, candles everywhere, little snack foods and a decent amount of alcohol, followed by a yummy dinner. At least that is what I think it used to look like back in the day. This year - nothing like that at all...

A good friend invited us to her home for a buffet dinner - featuring a baked 14lb salmon! Mom likes salmon! We got moderately dressed up - I even wore a tie - and headed to the festivities. There were a bunch of people that I knew, a few who knew mom and no one that mom recognized. People were very nice to her, coming and chatting with her now and again. I fed her two plates worth of food and a decent helping of dessert. And I didn't have to cook! Yay! We only stayed a little over an hour, I think.

Back home, my plan was to put on a couple of movies and open some presents. And maybe snack a little. Mom got comfortable while I puttered a bit. The first movie I put on was "Holiday Inn" - one of my favorites. While that was playing, we opened presents - this may have to suffice for thank you notes:

Juliet and Paul gave mom a lovely new nightgown, gave us both a puzzle (which I think is going to be too much for mom to be able to handle - I have put it out - but she hasn't even made a move to try to work on it) and gave me a great New Yorker Beer Snob cover (all framed and everything). Joe and Ginger gave mom a lovely woolen blanket and gave me two great pairs of socks (I love socks in case anyone else wants to give me a post-Christmas gift). Ernst and Betty gave mom a lovely soft big blue blanket and some candy (which she ate in about two hours) and gave me money - which I plan on spending on something for myself - maybe a massage. Oooh, that's a great idea! Thank you all for taking the time and effort to pick stuff out and send it to mom and me! I know she appreciates it - as do I. She keeps talking about writing Thank You cards...

I also gave mom a few things: some dvds, a book, some marzipan. She was pleased at the moment - though she probably couldn't tell you who gave her what at this point. She does remember the things - just not who gave them to her. And she remembers the marzipan now and again. (I have put it out of sight so she doesn't eat the whole box in a couple of hours.) I also gave her a very weak scotch and soda which she took a sip of but didn't finish.

All in all, a successful Christmas Holiday! Oh, the second movie was "It's A Wonderful Life" through which mom slept mostly.

No comments: