Monday, March 8, 2010

Can eating Certain Foods Depress One?

I think so. Sometimes I will come away from a meal depressed. Not just the "I've eaten too much and I can't get up" feeling. But a sense of despair crawls up from somewhere and permeates my entire being. Mostly this occurs with fast food, which, sadly, I still do enjoy most of the time. I know that when I don't eat I get grumpy. Sometimes downright mean. That is an empirical observation over many years. This depression thing is something else again. And it isn't fun. But blogging about it helped. :)

2 comments:

Jeffrois said...

Postprandial blues. I have a similar experience, but only after lunch. I sometimes have an almost irresistible urge to just boo-hoo-hoo. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I eat. I've always attributed it to the fact that I'm a morning (monk-in-a-past-life) and evening person -- but definitely not an afternoon person. I just chalk it up to the fact that moods and emotions are sometimes just a reflection of physical states and don't have anything to do with what they seem to be telling us about the nature of external reality. For me the cure is to grab a little siesta if I can. So my guess is the answer to your questions is yes.

Anonymous said...

Come back! More blog entries!